Friday 29 June 2012

Friday Favourite V11: Coupling

At the end of every week I'm going to write down one thing I love about Korea. Last week it was Homeroom teachers and here is this week's... 

There is something quite charming about this Korean habit, even though I don't think it could be replicated in any European country without the lovebirds getting completely destroyed by their friends.

Coupling is a Korean way for a couple to show how dedicated they are to each other. They do this by wearing the same outfit. We've seen it as subtle as wearing matching (not so subtle) neon trainers, to the extent where they are dressed completely the same from head to toe.

I know it's ridiculous, but I can't help but go 'awwww' when I see a coupling pair walking towards me hand in hand. Public displays of affection are severely frowned upon here, so I guess it's the only way they can show to others how much they like the other person.

You can even buy matching underwear sets in most of the shops. My favourite is a particularly gaudy leopard print one in the underground shopping centre in Nampo.

Cutting from a magazine showing pictures
Coupling shorts in different colours
Coupling jackets
Coupling neon trainers
I'd love to know what other Koreans think when they see a couple dressed the same. I'd also like to know how it's logistically arranged. Young couples will live with their parents until they are married, so do they call each other up every morning and discuss what to wear? Is it the girl who plans the outfits, or the guys? Do they do it every day?!

I asked my co-teacher and she said it's something that was traditionally done on Honeymoons, but younger people have adapted it. I asked what she thought and she said she liked when they were smart about it (?!).

I know it's a bit creepy that the only pictures we have are when we have taken snaps of unsuspecting couples, but i really wanted to show people back home!

Look how happy the King and Queen are in this 4th grader's
book report. I think it's all down to their coupling shoes

1 comment: