Saturday 9 June 2012

Friday Favourite V8: Street Food

At the end of every week I'm going to write down one thing I love about Korea. Last week it was the ice cream shop Baskin Robins and here is this week's (a little late)...

Imagine playing russian roulette with food, that's the only way I can think to describe street food in Korea. You never really quite know what you're getting or how good it's going to be, until you take the first bite.

Living near Nampo, I think most people would be surprised that it's only in the last month or so that Tasha and I have started eating it. Nampo is packed full of food stalls. There's the international market, the back streets of Nampo and also the stalls packed into PIFF square. They're brightly lit with lots of people milling around, grouped together and eating food. Running down from the square there are these tiny tents, all with mini seats and tables where you can pick your food and drink and take a pew.

I that love late at night when we walk home from Nampo we walk past these tents that are dotted through the backstreets, which're sometimes zipped up. You can hear the revelry of the business men inside, but it kinda feels like a private, soju induced party that we're not invited to!

So far we've tried BBQ'd chicken which was pretty good, waffles which Tasha is a massive fan of, fried shrimp, fried hard boiled eggs and kimbap 김밥(sushi rolls) which I could take or leave. My two absolute favourite things is pajeon 파전 which is a savoury pancake/omelette with lots of greens and meat in it, and the best thing I have tasted so far is hot-tteok 호떡 which is a sweet, deep fried pancake that's stuffed with nuts, which unsurprisingly always has the biggest queue for.

Pajeon

My first try of hotteok
Tasha with hotteok
In one of the tents eating fried shrimp

No comments:

Post a Comment